, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

I’ve experience a miracle.

If you’ve been following me you’d know that I have been suffering from Anosmia (zero sense of smell) for at least seven years.

Anosmia caused by nasal polyps and inflammation which is caused by allergies and worsens my chronic asthma.

I had a surgery to remove the polyps five years ago and although at the time I was able to breathe through my nose again, I never did regain my sense of smell. The polyps grew back and I once again could not use my nose to breathe anymore.

My breathing was getting worse, I was choking in my sleep. I couldn’t sleep. Suffering from depression and my anxiety was at an all time high. I was feeling terrible all the time. Always tired but couldn’t sleep without a night aide. Taking my inhalers constantly. Getting through the day was hard. I was having what I thought was panic attacks. Short of breath and my heart doing all kinds of funky beats. Continuous muscle cramps and contractions. My hands and feet cramping up to the point Id have top open them with my other hand. I knew if I wanted to get better I would have to book another surgery.

I was planning for my birthday weekend, it was the first time in forever I could actually go out on my actual birthdate. Had it planned and was preparing for it.. then I started getting sick. (er)

I went to a walk in clinic and they said it was viral but gave me prednisone because of my breathing. Two days later I was at the hospital.


Just after midnight, I awoke unable to breathe. I did the usual to to open up my lungs to no avail. I ended up going by ambulance to the hospital in which I spent my birth day and the next 3 days.

Many I.v’s with steroid and needles later I was released. Prior to release I had to get potassium by iv because my potassium was at 2.6!! (just google that and scare yourself)

I was released with prescriptions and went home and rested.

Over the next few days I noticed something.

My anxiety was gone! My horrible anxiety that Id had for years and that was at an extreme point prior to the hospital..was gone completely. My depression? Gone.

I couldn’t remember when I had ever felt so relaxed, I was actually worried because it get so surreal.

2 weeks later, anxiety and depression still gone. Going to sleep on my own, waking up with  energy and…whats this feeling?? Happiness, yeah, that’s it.

Things had started to taste awful when in the hospital and after. Anosmia effects your sense of taste so I haven’t really been able to taste things in 7 years. Not like normal individual, it was just basically sweet, salty, spicy or bland. When things started to taste stance I figured it was a side effect of my medications but what was really happening as that I was regaining my sense of smell.

Here I am almost a month from my birthday; able to smell and breathe completely through my nose and I can’t even begin to tell you how grateful I am for this minor miracle to some but major to me.

Whichever respiratory virus I had saved my life.

The potassium alone could have taken me out and I being the busy person I am would never had gone to the doctor with the symptoms I was having, as I just attributed it to stress. My breathing or lack of..my nasal issues causing sleep apnea and furthering my allergies and asthma. I was taking two different antihistamines a day and still would get itchy ears and throat, hives, etc.

Yet here I am, able to smell for the first time in 7 years, just in time for spring and able to breathe and able to research and learn how to control and correct my issues.

All I can say is that God is so good and I know it was nothing but God that kept me and saved and healed me. I give him praise every time I wake up.


I was also lucky enough to share a hospital room with a very kind woman, who was a very religious Catholic woman. She was okay with me playing my gospel music and watching my Church service and even listening and enjoying it herself.

On the second night of me being admitted, I was having an asthma attack and struggling to breathe, coughing and crying. The medication wasn’t working and I was crying and I had said out loud

“Please God help me”

Then from the other side of the curtain separating us I heard her voice

“He’s right there with you, Amber”

He was, wasn’t he.